Sunday, March 14, 2010

Steve McClure - I've Been Here Before....


But it still feels like a very long way off! That feeling you get when you first try something really hard. It’s alien to most climbers, as they don’t often try hard stuff relative to them. I’m talking about routes where you can’t even do the moves, where success is measured in tens of days or even years. Not something that was desperate but you’ll probably do next go.

Why would anyone want to go there, to devote such time to a single set of moves? I used to wonder, but then found it complimented the other styles, the on-sight or ground up. But there were other attractions, in particular the relationship, like any improving and maturing with time, changing and adapting and compromising. I’ve had a few of these relationships, and so far I’ve not had my fingers burned, but it will happen eventually. But when it does I won’t be depressed, as the biggest lesson I’ve learned is that a relationship cannot be rushed, it needs time to progress, and the journey is everything.

So here I am again. Malham Cove has taken much of me but given me more. I’m on a new line. It looks desperate, just a single day so far and I couldn’t do some of the moves. These were a long way up too, after absolutely no rest where fatigue will be maxed out. Good news. This looks like a solid relationship, this isn’t a quick fling over in a flash, unmemorable and without meaning. I’m looking for the line between possible and not, for me you understand. I think I found it before and I’d like to balance on it again. Time will tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment